For additional information:
Tweedsmuir History: Laskay
The early success of King Creek developed mainly from the foresight of Christopher Stokes. He was originally from England, emigrated to Canada in 1827, and settled in Machell’s Corner (Aurora). In 1834, Stokes bought 200 acres, lot 4 & 5, concession 7 in King Township. Four years later he built a grist and flour mill on the creek lot 4. Prior to the building of the mill, there was a general store known as McMillan’s Store, on the corner of lot 6, north of King sideroad. The store relocated to lot 4, concession 7, south of the creek, near the mill. This busy little centre, known first at Stoke’s Hollow, later as King Creek, gained an important place in the history of the Township.
Traction steam engine hauling a threshing machine on Mill Rd, King Creek, 1909