For additional information:
Early Settlement of King / Gillham, Elizabeth McClure
Tweedsmuir History: Nobleton
The village of Nobleton was named in honour of Joseph Noble who had a store on the northeast corner of lot 5, concession 9. Noble bought his property from John Robinson, who got it directly from the Crown. According to property deeds the settlement started about 1812. Some of the other early family names in Nobleton were Wellar, Snider, Pringle, Kaake, Hambly, Hawman, Robb and Robinson.
A post office in Nobleton was opened May 6, 1851. The mail arrived in the village tri-weekly from Toronto by Stage via the Vaughan Plank Road. In 1856, William Munsie became the postmaster. Prior to 1969 the post office was located on Hwy 27, south of the King Road. In 1969, the post office was opened on the King sideroad, east of Highway 27. The first school to serve the Nobleton area was built in 1820 on lot 2, concession 9, east half. It was a one-room structure built of logs. In 1870, a two-room frame building was erected lot 5, west half, concession 8. It was replaced by the new S.S. No 19 school. Later the school was bricked, and additional classrooms were added. The original Nobleton School closed its doors in 2012 and the children were moved to the new school located on Hwy 27, north.