For additional information:
Tweedsmuir History - Snowball
Strange is located on the 6th concession between the King Road and 15th sideroad. It was originally known as Williamstown.
Photo from Album of Oldies / Elizabeth McClure Gillham.
In gratitude, the name of the settlement was changed from Williamstown to Strange. The store and attached residence were destroyed by fire in 1922. Mr. Rutherford, the store's next owner, built a new residence reserving one room to be used as a grocery store. The store finally closed in 1940.
By 1853, William Wells had abandoned his vision for a town at Strange, when the railway went through Springhill (King City) instead of his settlement.