For additional information:
Tweedsmuir History - Temperanceville
Temperanceville located on the corner of 2nd concession and the King sideroad was originally known as Love’s Corner. In 1804, James and Mary Love, with their three children settled on Lot 67, west half, concession 1 in the Township of King. Besides being a farmer, James Love was a shoemaker, a charcoal burner, weaver for his own family – and a complete abstainer. In those days, alcoholic beverages were prominent at every social function. Although hotels and bars were numerous in nearby areas, none ever existed in Love’s Corner. The temperance movement grew; within fifty years, 1840-90, there were at least five different Temperance Societies in this area. It is no wonder that in time it became known as Temperanceville.
Temperanceville Ladies Association,