What Is a Make-It Lab?
A space to explore the newest technologies and tools in a fun and friendly environment.
The Make-It Lab will provide a variety of STEAM-based tools and programs for all ages, the Library will provide opportunities for: hands-on experimental learning, critical thinking, creativity and problem solving within a collaborative learning environment.
Due to unprecedented staffing shortages, unexpected program cancellations may occur. In the event of a cancellation, we will make every effort to contact registrants by phone or email as soon as possible.
The King City Make-It Lab can be accessed in one of two ways:
- Visit during drop-in times to Explore and try the equipment with Maker staff.
- Complete a Certification Process on a specific maker tool (ex. Cricut Maker, 3D printer, etc), once a patron is certified they can use the equipment on their own with minimal supervision from Maker staff.
|Tuesdays||10:30 am to 12 pm||Programming|
|Wednesdays||3:30 pm to 7:30 pm||Drop-In|
|Thursdays||10:30 am to 2:30 pm||Drop-In|
|Saturdays||10:30 am to 12:30 pm||Programming|
1:30 to 4:30 pm
Thursdays - Afterschool Maker Club
Saturday, January 28 - 3D Print Your Own Snowman
Tuesday, January 31 - Lunchtime Beat Saber Contest
Saturday, February 4 - Book Art Workshop
Tuesday, February 7 - 3D Scan Your Head
Saturday, February 11 - Valentine's Cards
Tuesday, February 14 - Cricut Custom Cards!
Saturday, February 18 - Lego-Bots
Tuesday, February 21 - Virtual Reality Summer Vacation
Saturday, February 25 - Make-It lab Maze
Tuesday, February 28 - Lunchtime Beat Saber Contest
Maker Hour runs every Saturday from 1 - 2 PM
If you are interested in learning about a specific piece of Maker equipment (ex. 3D printing, Cricut, etc.), you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- How do you prefer to be contacted - phone or email
- Maker equipment you are interested in learning
- Any other information you would like to share
Maker staff will be in touch with you within the week.
The Library's Make-It Lab is an evolving resource. Please note our current practices:
- Children 12 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult
- Parents or guardians are responsible for their children's use of the Make-It Lab equipment
- Participants are required to remain with the equipment while it is in use. The 3D printer is an exception to this rule due to the time required to complete prints
- When using 3D printers, please note:
- the Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request, subject to Library policy
- The Library is not responsible for the functionality or quality of content produced on the 3D printer
- 3D printed items that are not picked up within the designated timeframe may become the property of the Library
- Occupancy levels are in place and are subject to change
- Participants can bring in their own supplies to use with the Make-It Lab equipment, however, please discuss with Maker staff in advance
- A limited supply of materials for use with Make-It Lab equipment is available for purchase. If you wish to use large quantities of materials purchased by the Library for your project, please discuss with Maker staff in advance
- Files saved on the Make-It Lab computers will be deleted after each use. Patrons must save their work on their own external memory source to ensure the work is not lost. The library will have USB drives for sale for patrons to use
- No food or beverage of any kind is permitted within the Make-It Lab
- Participants are required to use the Make-It Lab in a safe, responsible and ethical manner
- All participants must adhere to all Library policies and current, applicable laws, including but not limited to health and safety policies, equipment operating procedures, copyright laws and licensing agreements
Note: There may be times throughout the year when the Make-It Lab is closed due to maintenance or unexpected staff shortages. We advise you to contact us before visiting to find out if the Make-It Lab is open.
Have a Suggestion
Any equipment or programs that you'd like to see in our Make-It Lab? Let us know! Email email@example.com
Coming Soon...Maker Pop-ups
Our Nobleton and Schomberg branches will soon also offer 3D printing, Green Screen and Virtual Reality Goggles for your enjoyment! Please check back for how you can book a time to use the equipment or wait for one of our pop-up events!