Rafferty’s Corner was the name given to the intersection of the 3rd Concession and King sideroad. In 1826, Thomas Ferguson purchased lots 4 and 5, concession 2, south of the King sideroad. The four hundred acres he bought were Crown lands which had originally been granted in 1802 to James McCauley. In 1832, Ferguson sold 100 acres to Barnes Beynon, another 100 acres to Henry Stewart. Across the road from the Ferguson farm, on lot 6, on the northeast corner of the 3rd concession (Dufferin Street) and King sideroad, a hotel was once operated by Francis Rafferty who was succeeded by James Rafferty. In 1831, Frances Rafferty had obtained 70 acres from the Canada Company, on which he built a hotel combined with a residence. In 1875, James Rafferty sold the 70 acres to James Wells. The hotel became part of a private residence and the property remained in the Wells name until 1940.
For additional information: