After teaching for forty-one years at the Kinghorn School, Walter Rolling retired from teaching on June 30, 1936. On that day, he was presented with a gold watch, but a true celebration of his teaching and dedication to the community was held one year later called Walter Rolling Day.
Walter Rolling Day was held on Saturday, June 19, 1937. This was not a small event in any way, and was insisted on by the Davis family who had been taught by Walter and who ran the tannery in Kinghorn. There were more than 2,000 former students and friends in attendance (almost half of the population of King Township at the time). The Provincial Minister of Education, Dr. L. J. Simpson, attended and the event was covered by the Toronto newspapers.
Andrew and E.J. Davis, with the help of twenty-five committee members helped organized the event. The Davises had the school and grounds wired with electricity, the school decorated, and a stage was erected.
The day started with a parade led by Walter from Burn's Bush (King Road, west of the cemetery) to the Kinghorn School. The Newmarket Citizens' Band and a pipe band were in the parade. Besides the bands, there was also entertainment by the Radio Singers.
Throughout the day, there were softball games, football games, races, reminiscences, and speeches. The event finished with dancing in the evening.
The Provincial Minister of Education, Dr. L. J. Simpson, made a speech praising Walter saying that: "It is impossible to estimate the contribution to society of a man teaching so successfully in the same spot for so many years."
Other speakers included former teachers and friends, Miss Tinline, Alice Ferguson, and Andrew Davis.
Joseph McCulley stated:
"Hats off to a teacher looking so young and fit when so many graybeards are gathered here to recall him as their teacher. Splendid buildings and equipment can never replace the character of the teacher."
Walter Rolling Day Committee Members
- Executive Committee: Andrew Davis, Duncan McMurchy, Hughie Ross, Aubrey Campbell, Albert Richards, Wilbert Burns
- Sports Committee: Aubrey Campbell, Archie Campbell, Albert Hallinshead, Wm Egan
- Ground Committee: Wm Ross, Wilbert Burns, Earl Scott
- Programme Committee: E.J. Davis, Miss M. Campbell, Miss B. McBride, C. Walkington, Andrew Davis
- Reception Committee: Mr. Rolling, Mr. McMurchy, H. Gillham
- Registration Committee: Miss McBride, Miss Zetta Hallinshead, Mrs. C. Crossley, Miss A. Baldwin
- Dance Committee: Miss M. Campbell, Albert Richards, Wm Ross, A. Gillham
- Advertising Committee: Andrew Davis, E. Hallinshead
- Finance Committee: Louis Scott, E.J. Davis, C. Walkington
- Refreshment Committee: Miss Wilson, Mrs. Gillham, Miss McBride, Miss M. Campbell, Mrs. Ross