On May 20, 1801, a patent was granted by the Crown to Dorothy Burger, a United Empire Loyalist, for lot 28 on the fourth concession of King Township. Two years later, John Bogart, an enterprising and capable pioneer, rode on horseback all the way to Upper Canada from Muncy, Pennsylvania, and obtained the two hundred acres from Dorothy Burger for a consideration of ninety dollars. John Bogart held the property from 1803 to 1825 when he sold 100 acres to Jacob Tool, who built the first sawmill. On September 13, 1842 Jacob Tool sold 46 acres to Septimus Tyrwhitt for the sum of $1,600. The original settlement was called Tyrwhitt Mills. In 1851 the first post office was called Ketttleby Mills. In September 1859 the “Mills” was dropped, and the name of the post office was henceforth Kettleby.
For additional information: