Linton was a hamlet at the corner of the 9th concession (Highway 27) and the 17th sideroad. Linton was named in honour of its first postmaser, Joseph Lynn. In 1805, John Wilson received the Crown patent for lot 28, west half of concession 8. In 1848, Joseph Lynn moved with his wife and four sons, James, Joseph Jr., William and John to King Township. On July 1, 1858, the Linton post office was officially opened in a room in the house of Joseph Lynn, Jr. In 1890, Charles Duke, who succeeded Major Stevenson as stage coach driver, came regularly with the mail, freight, and passengers to Linton by way of Aurora, Kettleby, Pottageville, Schomberg, and Lloydtown. The Linton post office remained until the inauguration of rural mail delivery in 1916. In its prosperous days Linton had an inn, called “The Inn”.
For additional information: