New Scotland extended north and south of the 16th sideroad and the 7th concession. The name was given to the area because of the many Scottish families who settled among the rolling hills of the area reminding them of their homeland. Names of the Scottish families include Kelly, Mitchell, Booie, MacMullin, MacMurchy, MacCallum, MacGill, and MacTaggart. In 1846, as the number of farms increased, the need for a school became evident. The first schoolhouse of log or plank was built by the settlers on lot 16, east half, concession 7. By 1891, a new and larger frame school stood on the same site, complete with wooden desks and seats and a pot-bellied stove. By 1898, the old school was bricked and modernized. About 1914 the school grounds were enlarged and the school was the centre for community activities. It was closed in 1961 and the property sold.
For additional information: