Join 1000 Books Before Kindergarten to help prepare your child for reading! You can read any book to your baby, infant and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1000 books before your child enters kindergarten.
Reading together provides an opportunity for bonding and creating lifelong memories. By reading together you are teaching your child ‘how a book works’, growing their vocabulary and instilling a love of reading.
For every 25 books read, come to the library to pick up a prize!
Go to your local King Township Public Library branch and the library staff will sign you up! You’ll receive a registration package that includes an Information Brochure, Suggested Reading List, and Log Book or you can log your reading progress with our Beanstack app! The length of the program is entirely up to you and your child! It is a self-paced program and will depend on how often your child is read to.
Early Literacy Tips
- Think about what you've read or sang about and try to find ways to connect it to your day.
- Choose books that can help build their vocabulary - some books are filled with action words that kids might not otherwise encounter.
- Telling a story based on pictures help them create their own stories later, when they are in school
- Kids need repetition to learn. They need to hear words over and over again to learn language. So read them their favourite book again - it's actually good for them!
- Talk about what you're doing while you're doing it. Or what your child is doing. "Narrating your day" exposes your child to lots of language!