Become a KTPL Board Member
We are seeking engaged, committed Board Members who are dedicated to the Library and the community at large.
The Role of an Effective Board Member
The King Township Public Library Board and its Members' duty is to provide comprehensive, effective and efficient public library service that reflects the community’s needs and builds community capacity.
Public library boards are governing boards, legal corporations with the authority to make policy and to govern the Library’s affairs in compliance with the Public Libraries Act, RSO 1990, c. P.44.
A critical aspect of the role is advocacy: KTPL’s Board Members promote and represent the Library to both existing and potential stakeholders, forging strong relationships that will support the strategic Vision, Mission and Values, as well as foster adherence to the principles of intellectual freedom
Desirable Skills & Abilities
We are seeking applicants with experience and expertise in the following:
- Grant writing
- Policy development
- Public sector
- Business backgrounds & connections (i.e. financial management)
- Public relations
- Computer & media literacy
- A passion for the community of King & investment in both its well-being and future
Library Board Members:
- At least 18 years of age
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- A resident of King Township
- May not be employed with the Library or municipality
- 4 years, concurrent with the term of the council
- Monthly board meetings, excluding the months of July and August
- Monthly meeting preparation
- Various ad-hoc committee meetings
- Online and in-person training and development
- Attendance at Library events and programs
- Formal and informal advocacy meetings
- Ontario public library boards are regulated by the provincial Public Libraries Act, which gives the municipal council the responsibility for appointing Board Members following each municipal election, and when vacancies occur on the board
Visit king.ca/committees to submit your application online or to learn more about the recruitment process. Completed applications must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022.
If you have questions, require accommodations, or a hard copy of the application form, please contact Diane Moratto, Administrative Clerk, Council and Committee at email@example.com or by phone at 905-833-4068
If you have questions about the Library, please contact Adele Reid, Acting CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 905-833-5101 (ext: 2103)